SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2018-19: Detailed Exam Pattern For SSC Stenographer Grade C & Grade D
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2018-19: SSC Stenographer exam is one of the most demanding Central Government jobs in India. It provides a decent SSC Stenographer salary along with other perks and benefits, scope for growth. The SSC Stenographer notification 2018-19 is already released and the application process has started. The application process is started from 22nd October 2018and will continue till 19th of November 2018. Every year lakhs of candidates appear for SSC Stenographer exam which has two grades – Grade C and Grade D. SSC Stenographer Grade D has two more categories – Class X and Class Y. Recruitment for both Grade C and Grade D SSC Stenographers involves the same selection process.
Aspiring candidates who are looking forward to work as SSC Stenographer must have a clear idea about the SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern and SSC Stenographer Syllabus. Without a proper knowledge of these, you cannot plan your SSC Stenographer preparation. In this article, we will provide you with all the information regarding SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Grade C & Grade D
Before getting into the detailed SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern, let us look at the overview of the exam:
SSC Stenographer Exam: An Overview
|Name of the Exam
||SSC Stenographer 2018
||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
|Name of Post
||SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and Grade ‘D’
||All over India
||Central Government Jobs
|Mode of Exam
|Number of Stages
As you can see, the selection process for SSC Stenographer Grade C and Grade D includes two stages. These are:
- Stage 1: Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Stage 2: Skill Test
The exam pattern for both these stages will be provided in the next sections.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Computer Based Test
The first stage of SSC Stenographer exam (for both Grade C and Grade D) is the Computers Based Test (CBT). The various sections, number of questions, and maximum marks for the CBT are tabulated below:
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For CBT
Number of Questions/Maximum Marks
|General Intelligence & Reasoning
|English Language & Comprehension
Important Points To Remember For SSC Stenographer Computer Based Test
- The questions for the CBT will be of Multiple Choice Type.
- Each question will carry 1 mark.
- There is penalty for wrong answer. 1/4th of the mark assigned to a question will be deducted for incorrect answer.
- There is no negative marking for questions not answered.
- The total time duration for the CBT is 2 hours.
- The exam is not separately timed, i.e. the three sections of the exam will not have separate time slots during which the sections should be finished.
- Except for the English Language & Comprehension section, the other sections will be available bilingually, i.e. in Hindi and English.
- It is to be noted that extra 40 minutes(ie, 2hours 40 minutes) is the total time duration allotted for the person with disabilities (benchmark disabilities such as blindness, locomotory disability and cerebral palsy).
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Skill Test
The major task for SSC Stenographers Grade C and Grade D involves making notes from dictation using shorthand. The Stage 2 of SSC Stenographer exam tests this particular skill of the candidates. Shortlisted candidates from Stage 1 will be given dictation in English/Hindi for 10 minutes and they will be tested for their speed.
The detailed SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern for Skill Test is tabulated below:
|SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Skill Test
|10 minutes dictation in English/ Hindi
||For Grade C – 100 words per minute
For Grade D – 80 words per minute
|Transcription of the dictation on a computer
||For Grade C
||40 min (English), 55 min (Hindi)
|For Grade D
||50 min (English), 65 min (Hindi)
- It is to be noted that person with disabilities (such as blindness, locomotory disability and cerebral palsy) will be having the test time allotment as follows: For the transcription of Dictation: Stenographer grade C candidates – 55 minutes for English and 75 minutes for Hindi. Stenographer grade D candidates – 70 minutes for English and 90 minutes for Hindi.
- The Skill Test will be qualifying in nature and the commission will fix the qualifying standards for different categories of candidates.
- The skill test will be conducted at the different Regional/Sub Regional offices of the commission or other centres as decided by the commission.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern | Important Dates
|SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern | Important Dates
|Starting of Application Process
|Ending of Application Process
||19-11-2018 (til 5 pm)
|Last Date for Online Fee Payment
||21-11-2018 (till 5 pm)
|Last date for generation of Online Challan
||21-11-2018 (till 5 pm)
|Last Date for payment through challan
|Test Date (Computer Based Test)
||1-2-2019 to 6-2-2019
Knowledge of English and Hindi Language – grammar, spellings, vocabulary, and comprehension – too is a must if you want to clear both the stages of the exam. So, you must prepare accordingly. Be thorough with the SSC Stenographer syllabus and then create a proper study plan. Stick to it and you will definitely crack the exam.
Have a clear understanding of the theory behind every concept and then solve sufficient number of practice questions. Make sure to revise the theories and practice the difficult questions on a regular basis. Once you have finished the whole syllabus, take SSC Stenographer mock tests and then work on your mistakes and weaknesses.